Spicy Shrimp & Tomato Pasta
- Pot 1:
- 125 g fettucine
- Pot 2:
- 2 T tomato paste
- 400 g crushed tomatoes (1 can; drained, liquid reserved)
- 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 t salt
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 T dried mixed herbs
- Pot 3:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T butter (unsalted)
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/2 lb shrimp/prawns (peeled & deveined)
- To Finish:
- 1 T finely chopped parsley (fresh)
1. Rinse the shrimp with cool water and allow the excess water to drain away.
Pot 1 (Large) - Boil Pasta:
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the pasta, and continue to boil for 7-10 minutes, or until tender. Drain the pasta in a colander.
Pot 2 (Small/Medium) - Simmer Sauce:
3. Heat the pot over medium heat. Add the tomato paste and heat, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes with about half of juices, along with the rest of the ingredients.
5. Stir to combine and let the sauce simmer over medium heat for about five minutes, or until you're done with the rest of this meal. Leave it on a low simmer; stir occassionally, and turn your attention to the shrimp.
Pot 3 (Skillet) - Cook Shrimp:
6. Put the olive oil and butter in a large skillet and place over medium heat.
7. Add the shrimp and minced garlic to the skillet. Saute the shrimp and garlic for 2-5 minutes (will vary based on heat of pan and size of shrimp), or just until the shrimp turns opaque and slightly pink (no longer grey and translucent).
8. When the shrimp is cooked, add the cooked and drained pasta and then the sauce. Toss to combine.
9. Taste and adjust the salt if needed.
10. Sprinkle the parsley over top before serving. Serve with salad.
SJ Note 6 May 2015: This was an okay start. I've amended the copy above; hopefully it'll be better next time. It's worth trying again.