- 4 corn tortillas (6")
- 1 T oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 4 eggs (large)
- 7.5 oz canned refried beans
- 3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c salsa
- 1 thinly sliced green onion
1. Heat oven and toast tortillas: Adjust oven rack to middle and heat oven to 450F. Lightly brush both sides of each tortilla with oil and sprinkle with salt. Spread tortillas out over baking sheet (some overlapping or hanging over edge is fine). Bake until tortillas are lightly golden on both sides, about 10 minutes, turning them over halfway through. Remove tortillas from oven and turn oven off.
2. Cook eggs: While tortillas are crisping, preheat 10" nonstick skillet over lowest possible heat for 5 minutes. Add butter to hot skillet and melt, swirling to coat pan. Crack 4 eggs into 2 small bowls. Add the eggs to the pan by sliding them into the hot skillet simultaneously from opposite sides of the pan (to make sure they all cook at the same time). Season eggs with salt and pepper, cover, and cook until desired doneness:
- 3 minutes for runny yolks
- 4 minutes for soft but set yolks
- 5 minutes for firmly set yolks
Slide eggs onto plate and cover with foil to keep warm. (While eggs cook, follow step 3.)
3. Top tortillas and return to oven: Spread refried beans evenly over top of each crisped tortilla and sprinkle with cheddar. Return the tortillas to the oven for beans to heat through and cheddar to melt.
4. Add eggs and garnish: Remove hot tortillas from oven, transfer to individual plates, and top each with fried eggs. Garnish with salsa and green onions before serving.
Notes from source: To complete this recipe in 30 minutes, heat your oven before assembling your ingredients. Although you turn the oven off at the end of step 1, the residual heat in the oven will still be strong enough to melt the cheese in step 3.
SJ Note 18 Jan 2016: Weird, but good. Will have again.