Shrimp Rice Skillet
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 c chopped onion
- 2 t minced garlic
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 c long grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 t turmeric
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1/2 t cayenne
- 1 t salt
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 c chicken broth
- 225 g shrimp (thawed)
- 1 c peas (frozen)
- fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 fresh lemon (cut into wedges)
1. Add the olive oil, onion, and garlic to a large, deep skillet. Saute over medium heat until the onions are soft and transparent (about 5 minutes). Add the diced bell pepper to the skillet and saute for 1-2 minutes more.
2. Add the uncooked rice, turmeric, smoked paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine. Pour in the chicken broth, stir briefly, then place a lid on the skillet.
3. Turn the heat up to high and bring the broth to a boil. Once it reaches a full boil, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes, add the thawed shrimp and the frozen peas. Fold into the rice mixture; replace lid. Let the shrimp and peas cook over low heat just until the shrimp turn pink (about 3-4 minutes). Stir once halfway through to check the shrimp buried in the rice for doneness.
5. Once the shrimp have finished cooking, top the skillet with parsley and serve with lemon wedges. Squeeze the lemon juice over top of the dish just before eating.
SJ Note Nov 2016: Tried as written at Budget Bytes; decent start, but needed more flavor. Will try again, as written above.