Baked chicken with tomato sauce
- Tomato Sauce
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes (drained)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/2 T dried oregano
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 chicken breast (boneless skinless, about 7oz)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Drain the diced tomatoes. In a medium bowl, combine the drained tomatoes with the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir well, then set the tomato mixture aside.
3. Place the chicken breast on a cutting board and cover it with a sheet of plastic wrap. Use a mallet to carefully pound the chicken breast to an even thickness. Don't pound with too much force or the breast may split. Start at the thickest part of the breast and work your way out toward the edges. Once pounded, slice the chicken breast into two portions and season each side with a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Place the chicken in a baking dish. Pour the tomato mixture over top.
5. Bake the chicken, uncovered, in the fully preheated oven for 35 minutes. Serve immediately.