- 2 sirloin steaks (2-3)
- 3 T fish sauce
- 1 T soy sauce
- 2 t sugar
- 2 t minced garlic
- 1/4 t ground coriander seed
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 6 T fish sauce
- 5 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 t sugar
- 1 dried chili (1-2, or 1-2 tsp dried chili flakes)
- 1/4 c finely chopped tomato
- fresh cilantro (chopped; to garnish)
1. Stir marinade ingredients together and pour over the steaks. Turn the steaks several times to ensure they are covered with the marinade. Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
2. While steak is marinating, make the accompanying sauce. Place all sauce ingredients together in a bowl and stir. Taste-test for a balance of spicy, sour, and sweet. Add more fish sauce if you'd like it saltier, or more sugar if too sour for your taste. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to "broil" setting ("high" if you have a choice between high and low). Place oven rack on the second-to-highest rung.
4. Take steak out of the refrigerator and place either on a broiling pan, or on a regular baking sheet (I used a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper).
5. Broil steak approximately 3-5 minutes, then turn and boil another 3 to 5 minutes on the other side, depending on thickness. Then place in 300F oven to finish cooking through.
6. Remove steak from oven and slice as thinly as you can. Place on a plate together with the accompanying sauce and a little fresh coriander sprinkled over. ENJOY!
SJ Note: Original calls for half-cooked steak. I added oven step so it's cooked through.